Become a Member Today
Here is your chance to play an active role in strengthening the Canadian Heart Failure Community! Membership in the society is available to health professionals, scientists, educators and specialists in the field of heart failure. Applications are accepted year round so it is never too late to join.
Are you a nurse? You can now save on membership fees by registering for a joint membership with the Canadian Council of Cardiovascular Nurses (CCCN) and CHFS through the CCCN website. You can also look forward to joint learning sessions in the coming year.
The CHFS has had an exciting year and there are more new initiatives and programs planned for the coming year. Some highlights include:
- CHFS was well represented at the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress in Vancouver with one spotlight session and three collaborative workshops with partner affiliates and organizations, all of which were well attended.
- The annual CHFS Achievement Award was given to Dr. Peter Liu for his distinguished career, including innovation in HF research/translation and for championing the cause of HF nationally.
- Our membership continues to grow with 89 physicians, 55 allied health professionals and 17 members in training.
- We hosted the 4th Annual Heart Failure Update meeting in Toronto this year in collaboration with the Ted Roger’s Centre, allowing us to expand the scope and size of this educational event. There were 385 registered delegates at the meeting.
- Aligned with The Annual Heart Failure Update meeting, CHFS co-sponsored the first national HF patient advocacy event in collaboration with HeartLife Foundation and the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.
- The CHFS sponsored a satellite symposium on the interplay of comorbidities in HF at the 3rd Annual UBC Heart Failure Summit in Vancouver, BC with a distinguished panel of presenters.
- We have made formal collaboration with the CCCN for our Nursing members so that there are savings in membership fees when joining both organizations.
- >We have worked in collaboration with the CCTN to obtain recognition from the Royal College for an Area of Focussed Competence Diplomat in Advanced Heart Failure and Cardiac Transplantation.
- We unveiled and presented the first annual CHFS-CCTN Research Competition Award at the CCC this year. The 2017 finalists included: Lior Bibas, Sean Kang, Georges Makhoul and Steve Wright.
- The CHFS, in collaboration with HeartLife Foundation, published a policy paper in the Canadian Journal of Cardiology on The Need for Heart Failure Advocacy in Canada
- We have a number of Working Groups to engage our membership including the Education, Research and Website Committees – we would welcome your involvement and contributions.
- Our website is now up and running! Visit us at www.ccs.ca/chfs and soon you’ll find us at www.heartfailure.ca
- Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @CanHFSociety.
We also plan to hold our Annual General Meeting once again during the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress in Toronto this October, 2018.
We wish to thank you for your support! Together we will be a stronger voice for HF advocacy and will work towards making high quality HF care a priority at the national level.
As we plan for the upcoming year we want your feedback – look out for an upcoming e-blast with more details on how you can get involved with the Society’s activities and register your opinions.
Sean A. Virani MD, MSc, MPH, FRCPC, FCCS
President, Canadian Heart Failure Society